Earlier this week, there was stories floating around that Dwight Howard was possibly backing off his trade request and in-turn was beginning to recruit Deron Williams to join him in Orlando. Effectively flipping the script on the Nets.
But, it seems as of now the status quo in Orlando has been kept.
Sam Amick of SI.com tweeting last night from the Orlando Locker room:
Also, Josh Robbins of The Orlando Sentinel has reported that Dwight Howard’s trade request still stands:
“Nothing has changed,” Howard said before the Magic faced the Sacramento Kings at Power Balance Pavilion on Sunday. Otis Smith confirmed Howard has not taken his trade request off the table and that Howard’s agent still has permission to speak with three, and only three, teams: the Dallas Mavericks, the Los Angeles Lakers and the New Jersey Nets. “I think his leaving or going has nothing to do with Orlando,” Smith said of Howard. “I think he wants a bigger market. I can’t do anything about that.”
Josh Robbins – Orlando Sentinel
Otis Smith also stated in an interview with Robbins when asked if Dwight had expanded his list of preferred destinations, Smith responded “not to his knowledge.” I recommend reading the full interview with Otis Smith as it is heavy with Dwight talk.
Meanwhile, Marc Spears of Yahoo also spoke with Dwight Howard. Howard stated to Spears that he believes there is a “100 percent” chance he will not be moved before the February 26th All-Star game in Orlando and when asked if he thought he’ll be traded before the March 15th deadline Dwight stated, “I don’t think so.”