|DeShawn Stevenson, SG 18 MIN | 0-5 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 2 AST | 0 PTS | -3
Provided really nothing of worth tonight, but in fairness it was his first game back from injury and he looked like he was playing on one leg. The Nets are simply out of options on the wing at this point and you have to give him credit for trying.
|Kris Humphries, PF 36 MIN | 3-4 FG | 4-4 FT | 7 REB | 2 AST | 10 PTS | -3
He was held scoreless in the first half and only came alive slightly in the second half. He has trouble finishing inside against length and Memphis certainly is long inside. We need more from him.
|Shelden Williams, PF 36 MIN | 4-9 FG | 2-2 FT | 12 REB | 0 AST | 10 PTS | -20
Played as well as he’s capable of playing, but still was just not enough. He was more a part of the solution than the problem in tonight’s game though.
|Deron Williams, PG 37 MIN | 9-18 FG | 4-4 FT | 1 REB | 11 AST | 26 PTS | -3
Was red hot in the first half (20 points), but cooled significantly in the second half. Tony Allen’s defense had a lot to do with it, but also some questionable decision making led to turnovers at the most crucial of times.
|MarShon Brooks, G 30 MIN | 5-9 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 3 AST | 12 PTS | -12
His best game since returning from a toe injury, but still not at the level he was at prior to the injury. At times looked like a seasoned veteran, but also at times looked like a confused JV player called up to play on varsity.
|Andre Emmett, SG 15 MIN | 1-3 FG | 2-2 FT | 1 REB | 0 AST | 4 PTS | -5
For his first NBA game in sometime, he looked he like belonged. We really don’t have many other options at this point, but Emmett certainly didn’t detract from much and provided some energy.
|Sundiata Gaines, G 16 MIN | 4-6 FG | 1-1 FT | 1 REB | 7 AST | 11 PTS | +7
Decent performance for him tonight. Penetrated well and got others open looks as well as knocking down the shots he was given. We really can’t ask for much more from him.
|Anthony Morrow, SG 29 MIN | 7-12 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 3 AST | 17 PTS | -1
Was quiet for long stretches in the game, but the Nets ran some of their offense through him in the fourth quarter and he was delivering with jumpers.
Five Things We Saw
- The Nets zone. Based on our lack of anything resembling a wing defender, I have a feeling the Nets went to the zone more out of necessity than strategy. But as the game wore on it was clear the Grizzlies were struggling to find solid offense against it and Avery stuck with it. Could be something the Nets play more of in the future.
- Point guards who play alongside Deron Williams tend to play well. Jordan Farmar is by far having his best season in the NBA and tonight playing a lot of minutes alongside DWill, Gaines had one of his best games in a while.
- 19. That’s the number of Nets turnovers and the amount of offensive rebounds the Grizzlies got. The Nets basically gave the ball to the Grizzlies 38 extra times. No team can overcome that.
- Lack of talent. I know the Nets are depleted with injuries, but some of the lineups we were putting out there were staggering at just the lack of talent throughout this roster. At times the Nets played with Anthony Morrow, Sundiata Gaines, Johan Petro, Shelden Williams and Andre Emmett.
- Seven straight. Seven straight losses and things don’t get any easier. When will the next win come? They are at the Pacers tomorrow and will then go and play the Bulls Saturday.