To the surprise of no one, ESPN’s Marc Stein reports that Dwight Howard has changed his mind, and will not concede his player option for the 2012-2013 season.
In a Wednesday night conference call with Orlando Magic officials before the team’s game in San Antonio, Dwight Howard told the Magic that he is not prepared to surrender the option to become a free agent at season’s end, according to sources with knowledge of the discussion.
When asked why Howard told several teammates and members of the organization earlier in the day that he had indeed decided not to opt out of his contract, the source insisted that Howard “didn’t fully understand the ramifications” of surrendering his ETO and did so largely because Magic officials warned him that he would be traded by Thursday’s 3 p.m. trading deadline if he did not take that step.
I have no words to describe what is going on and this has truly reached Dwightmare status. I just want the 3:00 PM deadline to arrive and end this mess, giving some sort of an answer for the next few months. Dwight Howard is pretty much making the entire league angry with his indecisiveness and doing so at the very last minute.
Not one logical Nets fan would be upset over the addition of Dwight Howard to this team, but let’s all at least admit that this is getting ridiculous. Consider this your open thread for until the next update, which will surely be coming soon.
In the meantime, enjoy the Nets-Raptors game! (Wait, the Nets actually play basketball!?)