Is Mikhail too star-struck?

Home Forums Nets Is Mikhail too star-struck?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by avatar WynnDuffy 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Max Weisberg

With all of the recent struggles and reports about Mikhail Prokhorov wanting Phil Jackson to coach the team for an indefinite amount of money, I’ve began to wonder whether Mikhail’s continued obsession with stars and uprooting the Knicks is causing him to lose sight of winning.

I’m not saying Phil Jackson would be a bad choice for coach an of course it’s not my money that Phil would get if he chose to come here. He’s arguably the greatest coach of all time who knows how to win it all. The thing that is starting to irk me though, is these reports of Jackson getting everything he wants from the Nets (Personnel decisions, road trips off, ect.). I can only think back to when the Nets were courting Deron Williams to stay with the team, giving him everything that he wanted including influence on personnel decisions and such. We’re now starting to see that even though it worked in terms of being able to get him to re-sign, it may not be working in terms of winning. There’s a reason why you don’t give a player or a coach so much control in the organization no matter how big of a star they are or how successful they’ve been in the past ala Jackson and Williams.

Let’s hope this all turns out well, but in a way Prokhorov is acting like Jim Dolan in the fact that he’s spending inordinate amounts just to get the “star.”

What’s everyone think about Prokhorov seceding to much control to all of these stars?

WynnDuffy

Proky doesn’t know NBA basketball. He doesn’t know what he is doing.

Unfortunately, neither does Billy King.

KnickHater

Yes, but with good reason.  Prokhorov is relaunching the franchise, and like it or not, that takes star power.  Did he pay too much for Williams and Joe Johnson?  Yes, in the short term.  Will he pay too much for Phil Jackson or Jeff Van Gundy?  He probably will, in the short term.  In the long term, this is exactly what the franchise needs.  Look at the buzz he created in the pursuit of Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams, Dwight Howard and now Phil Jackson.  You can’t buy that kind of publicity.

I’ve always believed that losing Dr. J when we moved to the NBA was a critical moment in the history of our franchise.  We needed his star power to establish ourselves and now we didn’t have it.  We never recovered from that blow.  Now is the time to overcome that.

JonCBK

Well I certainly wouldn’t mind it if they turned over basketball decisions from Billy King to Phil Jackson. And if somehow the Nets can get one of the most celebrated basketball coaches in the history of the game and a guy who can arguably be described as the greatest coach in all of major league sports. Than sure, get him and give him whatever he wants.

Prokhorov is going to make a lot of mistakes. That is to be expected. Especially when he gets most of his advice from Billy King. But at least he is willing to drop cash. And so far, I think, the Brooklyn fans are rewarding the franchise by turning up and dropping cash at the games. So it is working out for both sides.

Getting the Islanders to come to the Barclay Center was also huge. The buzz generated by Williams and Joe Johnson and everything was part of getting the Islanders, I’m sure.

WynnDuffy

Nets need to win, especially at home, to establish themselves

PJ Velez

I think, Max and WynnDuffy, that you guys are overreacting a bit.  Every single NBA team with the talent that the Nets have, regardless of D-Will’s physical or mental situation, would think about Phil Jackson, especially after the Lakers passed on him.  And the points made by KnickHater are valid.  The move to Brooklyn and the establishment of the Barclay’s Center is important and the need for a credible All-Star at the beginning was critical.  Like it or not, D-Will was the best choice.  They did a great job.  There isn’t any other way they could have gone.  A bunch of rookies in Brooklyn, under the lights of NY would have been disastrous.  I think its inaccurate to say they’ve handed over the reins to D-Will considering the statements made around Avery’s firing.  He wasn’t aware and face it, Avery was not fixing problems that all of us, NBA commentators, and the players themselves all pointed out.

If Phil Jackson talk continues into the All-Star break, then we can call it a distraction that Prokhorov is making and to the detriment of the team and franchise.  But now its too early to say that he’s a rookie owner and doesn’t know what he’s doing.  The excitement is here and so is the $$$.  The only challenge that remains is to get all the people who are fans of the Nets as a historical novelty in Brooklyn (1st major sports franchise coming to Brooklyn since the Dodgers left, and the establishment of a music and sports entertainment venue in an area that needed development) to fans of the team itself.  So far, I’d give Prokhorov a solid B+ in keeping the novelty fans interested.  Wins at home would help.  Beating the teams that the Nets should beat on talent alone goes further and would push the Nets grade to a resounding A.

WynnDuffy

PJ Velez, I stand by my comments.

I’m not sure Deron Williams was the right choice, and I’m not sure Phil Jackson was the right choice, and I don’t think star-power was needed by the Nets in their 1st season in Brooklyn.  Just a team with talent, a good coach that got them to play hard, and a future.

And I do believe that Proky knows little about NBA basketball, although he knows more now then when he first bought the team

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.