Was Avery a bit "off"?

Home Forums Nets Was Avery a bit "off"?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by avatar Max Weisberg 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Max Weisberg

I always felt like Avery was a bit “off.”

I can’t really explain it, but he just didn’t see things that other people saw. He just couldn’t realize when he lost the team, or when one guy was hurting us on offense or defense (see stephen graham and all the other scrubs that played under him). Even the beat writers mentioned it when he was fired — I remember Bontemps tweeted something about Avery saying in the beginning of the season that he was to be a “top 10 defense.” Although he never clarified whether that was in defensive rating, points allowed, or any other defensive metric.

There’s also this from Jake Appleman:

“And then there was his quirky relationship with stats and math. Johnson spoke early in the season of his mysterious defensive rating (something he never elaborated on) and how he had his unique “Avery’s stats” to chart performance. He spoke in training camp of how plodding center Brook Lopez needed to focus on “attempted rebounds.”

Read More http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2013/01/brooklyn-nets-avery-johnson.html#ixzz2HpyTMTAkJust seemed like he was in his own little world most of the time.

Anyone else feel that way?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.